Are you suffering from
tired, sore, gritty irritated
or dry eyes?
Not sure if you have Dry Eyes? Try this simple test. Blink twice
and then slowly count the numbers shown below.
If you can't get to Ten without needing to blink again then you may have Dry Eye.
How is it treated?
What is Dry Eye?
Dry Eye means that your eyes may not be making enough tears, that the tears which are being produced are of poor quality or that the tears that are produced evaporate away. The normal function of tears is to keep the surface of the eye wet and lubricated so any shortage of tears or reduction in their quality can produce a gritty, burning sensation of the eyes and can also disturb vision.
The symptoms of Dry Eye syndrome may include:
- Tired eyes
- Burning, stinging or itching
- Red eyes
- Gritty feeling
- Excessive watering
- Irritation from wind or smoke
- Photophobia (sensitivity to light)
- Blurred or smeary vision
- Contact lens discomfort
What are the causes of Dry Eye?
Dry Eye can be caused by a wide variety of everyday factors and include:
- Dry environment and pollution
- Computer use
- Contact lens wear
- LASIK surgery
- Hormonal changes, especially in women e.g. menopause
- Dry Eye may also be symptomatic of general health
problems or disease
- Certain types of medications